Saturday, November 3, 2007

Nearly one year old tadpoles.









While most the tadpoles last summer metamorphed into young frogs these tadpoles did not. Instead they lounged lazily at the bottom of the pond most of the winter. I didn't think they had survived but now with the warmer weather they are starting to become more active and at last are morphing.

I wonder if they have grown so fat by eating the other little tadpoles. I witnessed the tadpoles canibalising their same sized siblings last summer. I assume it's nature's way of controlling a population too large for the pond.


It was hard trying to measure them as I couldn't get the tape and tadpole out straight and operate a camera at the same time. I also imagine that they might have been a little longer if I had nabbed it before it had grown legs, but still you can see in the photo that it is 11.5 cm long with a bend in its tail.


If you look carefully in the next photo you can make a comparison between a three week tadpole of what I assume to be the same species (Litoria Moorei) and the one that is approximately 11 months old.

1 comment:

Erica said...

I have a tadpole who is now one year and 3 months old. It is suppose to have turned into a spotted leopard frog after 4-6 weeks. Any idea what is stopping his growth?