Sunday, October 21, 2007

The bridge.

The bridge offers shade for our pond as well as giving a great viewing platform. The shade is important to prevent too much algal growth and ensures the pond won't get too hot. The frogs when startled are quite happy to dive under it for cover as well as finding it a place to hang out.




My husband and I designed and made the bridge - it was a very simple design.
Two long treated pine sleepers that we sawed the ends off (we borrowed a chain saw to do this) to form an angle that were set atop 4" by 2" f10 hardwood. It was slightly wider than the sleepers to form a lip that the frogs like to sit on. Then we nailed decking on. It took us only a couple of hours to build the whole bridge once we started. Then we just had to sit it over our pond. Wallah!

3 comments:

Wild Flora said...

Hi Jo,
Thanks for stopping by my blog and thanks for your efforts on behalf of frogs. They certainly need every bit of help they can get. I'm intrigued by the design of your bridge. I could use one of those myself, and probably some of my readers could too. Do keep on blogging about this; it looks as though you have a lot of useful information to share.

Anonymous said...

Good words.

Pond Pumps said...

I like this detail of building bridge on the pond. I also like your blog presentation. Really very nice blog!!